Tuesday, August 01, 2006

New Music! Ratatat + The Black Neon

Imagine my excitement when I open my e-mail to find that one of my favorite artists, Ratatat, will be releasing a new album, Classics, this August 22nd, and that a few MP3's have already been made available for download. Needless to say I was giddy, and I'm glad nobody was there to see me do my happy dance naked in my bedroom. Anyways, the two tracks that I came across, "Tacobel Canon" and "Wildcat" have been featured around the blogs the past few days (including Chris from Gorilla vs. Bear who says "this [Wildcat] is my most played song of the month"), and I figured I needed to get in on the action. Draw your own conclusions about these two. All I'm saying is that if Classics is all like these two songs, I'll be the writing a glowing review in three weeks. Ratatat - Wildcat [highly rec'd] Ratatat - Tacobel Canon [highly rec'd] Elsewhere, a new band, The Black Neon, has been in heavy rotation in my iTunes ever since they found their way onto my computer. Here's what Team Clermont has to say about them: Memphis Industries, probably the UK's hottest small label (The Go! Team, The Pipettes), knocks another one out of the park with The Black Neon's Arts & Crafts. Steven Webster, formerly of St. Lauderdale, has crafted a lovely, gauzy krautrock/britpop hybrid that plays out with the Super Furries jamming with Harmonia '76 or Neu! or something. It's an insanely good record that combines T. Rex swagger with synth-addled atmosphere and Blur-caliber hooks. It's the real deal. I strongly agree, and recommend these guys to all you readers. I can't think of any similar bands off the top of my head, but I love their folky-synth-pop vibe, and can't get enough of the two singles I have. Definitely check them both out, especially "Hollywood 1, 2, & 3" which is more of an instrumental track and builds quite nicely, though both tracks I've made available for download are strong. Look out for The Black Neon. The Black Neon - Ralph & Barbara The Black Neon - Hollywood 1, 2, & 3 [rec'd] -Zack

4 comments:

Tim said...

http://stuartstaples.blogspot.com/2006/07/update-ratatat-indie-electropoprock.html or http://www.blu3f0x.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=268&Itemid=37 enjoy

Trent said...

I preferred the "Download or Die" tags ..

Zack said...

Dear Trent,

I Love You.

Love,
Zack

Kyle said...

LOVE the rat. plays on repeat throughout my road trips. even to the grocery store.