Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Kyle Andrews

So I was looking through the archives of *sixeyes, a MP3 heavy blog that has given me plenty of new bands, and I stumbled upon this gem. Kyle Andrews is from Chicago and is flying under most indie radars (I went overboard on the links. My bad). He uses only keyboards, guitars, and drum loops but somehow creates a full and complete sound. Andrews has been described as a milder Bright Eyes, but his songs are full of hooks and seem slightly catchier than Obersts'. I first listened to Sushi, off of Amos in Ohio, his latest album, and was caught completely off-guard. I was expecting another badly recorded acoustic guitarist who thinks his music is somehow unique, but I could not be more wrong. Kyle is of a completely different mold, and I am unable to get his songs out of my head. I only have 4 songs, but I like what I hear and can't wait for his CD to arrive at my front door. Here are two songs from Kyle's first full album, Amos in Ohio. The title track is a more subdued, emotional song, but still has a unique touch to it. The chorus, complete with awesome bird-chirping noises, ties the whole song together and keeps the track flowing. Sushi is a more upbeat track with more hooks and catches, somewhat in the style of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but with a better voice (Sorry Alex). When the little beeps come in right in the beginning of the song, I can't help but picture a Dr. Suess book and super-bouncy balls. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Kyle Andrews - Amos in Ohio Kyle Andrews - Sushi [download or die] Catch the *sixeyes interview with Kyle Andrews Download 4 more Kyle Andrews tracks on his Myspace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awh yeah

Anonymous said...

i find sushi delicious.

Anonymous said...

frighteningly enough, "download or die" actually led me to download the song.