Monday, March 20, 2006

Nina Nastasia + Other People with Amazing Voices

I've been holding Nina Nastasia close to my heart for a while now, and ever since this the birth of this blog all I could think about was her. That may be a slight exaggeration, but honestly I have wanted to post about her since day 1. I don't know if Nina was ever praised in the blog world or not, but I do know that Nina is far from "cutting edge." In fact she has had considerable success for quite a while now, her most notable success being named on John Peel's Year End Top 50, in the New York Times back in 2002. Nina has a very strong cult following, but still I feel that hipsters (you know who you are) often overlook artists like Nina. Well it's time for everyone (remember I’m still assuming the indie blog world hasn't paid any attention to her) to experience Nina. When I say experience I hope a vision of crazy light shows and guitar solos don't come to mind (not that there's anything wrong with that.) Instead, I hope you see a picture off a New York apartment, an acoustic guitar, seamless song arrangements, and a pleasantly beautiful voice. Below I’m including my favorite song "Stormy Weather," off her deput album Dogs. This song is so well written. It has all the write changes, haunting strings, melody, and is perfectly short. You can definitely compare Nina's voice to Jenny Lewis in this song. To give you an idea of what Nina is like now (it's not that much different,) listen to "Superstar" off her latest album Run to Run. If you like what you hear I suggest buying Dogs which was re-issues in 2004, due to the fact that the original went out of print in 2000. Buy here. Nina Nastasia - Stormy Weather [download or die] Nina Nastasia - Superstar I would also like to take this post as an opportunity to give some love to other good voices. We all know Stuart Murdoch of Belle & Sebastian has a phenomenal voice. All the Belle & Sebastian records make your ears feel wonderful, but live it is a whole different world. It's hard to believe, but Stuart Murdoch sounds even better live. So here's a little sneak peak of the live recordings which will all be up soon. They are also in my opinion the "best" display of Stuart Murdoch's voice. Belle & Sebastian - Women's Realm (Live @ 930 March 6) Belle & Sebastian - Expectations (Live @ 930 March 6)[download or die] Belle & Sebastian - Belle and Sebastian (Live @ 930 March 6) P.S. Listen to the end of "Expectations" and you will know what I mean. Another voice I want to give credit to is the post hardcore dream boat that is...Anthony Green. Here is a live video of Anthony belting out a unreleased Circa Survive song. Circa Survive - Julian <3 Austin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I downloaded it all....and you are so right

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm not getting any sound on the Circa Cirvive video :(