Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Gold Lion Single

Yesterday was a pretty lousy day. The sky was gray, there was a constant drizzle, I didn't get enough sleep last night, etc. This all changed though at around 7 o' clock when I walked into Crooked Beat Records (a record store I frequent,) and saw The Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Gold Lion" single calling my name. My heart immediately filled with joy, because I was truly at ease, (I was worrying the entire car ride over that they wouldn't have it!) and excited. The "Gold Lion" single basically, for lack of a better description, is the shit. I had heard the studio version of the song already but I was pumped for the remixes that were included on the single. There are two remixes of "Gold Lion" on the single, one remixed by Diplo, and the other is the "Nick Remix". The Diplo remix is by far my favorite. It reminds me of something that you would get on one of DFA's seasonal mixes. It stays true to the original song structure for the most part, but adds some amazing accessories to the already highly beat driven song. Minor effects are used throughout the remix, as well as an original beat, and some seriously awesome distorted video game noise, and electro xylophone solo's toward the end. It also has the necessary beat chopping, and crucial beat dropping, to create a fluid yet dance inducing sound. I feel like Gwen Stefani would go bananas for this remix, I sure did while waving my hands out my car window like some drunk bimbo in Vegas. The "Nick Remix" didn't do as much for me, it stayed very true to the original, but was good nevertheless. It was a lot chiller than the "Diplo Remix". I'm very, very excited for the full length album, and this single was all I needed to reassure that excitement. Gold Lion Track List: 1. Gold Lion 2. Let Me Know (Demo) 3. Gold Lion (Diplo Remix) 4. Gold Lion (Nick Remix) P.S. I didnt make the whole track list downloadable, because i feel bad doing that...especially when the single only costs $3. So go buy it to hear the rest, and appreciate the cover art/sleeve design. <3! -Austin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man... Diplo is on autopilot. Snore. Love the original track, however.

Anonymous said...

the mix link is not working!... can you fix it?

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
» » »